Sunday, April 19, 2015

"The Molten Veins": Franz Ferdinand’s “40'” (Singled Out - Back Catalog Edition)

One of the marks of a great song is it allows for multiple interpretations that build with listens, over years, and across people. But then there are those songs that staunchly resist any solid interpretation, those songs that move you and mean something to you that you can never quite verbalize and that fact keeps you going back to it. While I’m sure many other songs fill this category, “40’” by Franz Ferdinand is a big one for me. I’ve been trying to get a handle on this song for ages, yet like the foam forty feet beneath the narrator’s feet it’s always out of my reach.

Early on in their collaboration, Nick McCarthy and Alex Kapranos planned to form two bands; a pop group (which became Franz Ferdinand) and a more folk-orientated group (which never really came to be.) However, a vestige of that folk group exists in the work of Franz Ferdinand in the form of “40’.” According to Kapranos, they “thought the other band would probably do that one” as the song’s main riff draws influence from rebetika (Greek folk music.) Kapranos also claims it’s about “trying to catch the emotions you feel when you’re faced with an incredibly immense decision” and I think that comes through in both the lyrics and music. Decisions can be paralyzing, especially when you build them up in your mind. The musical surges in “40’” perfectly encompass how that anxiety feels and the outro is the sweet calm that follows finally taking the leap.

My attempts to glean clear meaning from the song have over the years led to different lines holding most of my focus while obscuring the rest. Personal phobias are the likely reason behind my initial focus on the aspects of height and distance. More recently, though, the line that really grabs me is “Salt scales upon my drying arms.” Scales as a metaphor came up a lot in interviews Kapranos did during the promotion of Franz’ last album, Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action. In the context of RTRWRA, the scales mask vulnerability and shedding them can allow one to find strength in that vulnerability. By contrast, “40’” appears to be about building them up, even if only temporarily. The image of salt scales implies that the narrator has been standing at that precipice for an extended period of time, because (and I could very well be wrong) salt would likely make skin raw first and then prolonged exposure would draw out moisture. Skin care and other logistics aside, the larger point is that the narrator waits for these scales to build before he leaps the forty feet (if he leaps) and the scales are protection from what comes after.

Another thing I find interesting about the lyrics are the references to “cold,” “cooling,” and “calm,” which stand in contrast to the surging nature of the music. The narrator says, “Burn my back beneath the sun, but I am cold beneath the burning rays.” One could take that literally, his focus is so concentrated on the impending decision that even the sun can’t affect him. Cold also denotes a lack of emotion, which could be seen as a negative. However, in this case, the “coldest calm” seems to suggest clarity and resolve. He’s stood long enough to know what he wants to do. Perhaps this is projection on my part, but despite my frequent anxiety and tendency to drag my feet, when I do come to a decision I tend to feel that matter-of-fact about it. Clear cut and cold; this is what’s happening.

Franz Ferdinand is loaded with contradictions and “40’” might be one of their starkest with its heightened and calm emotions. I doubt this analysis has fully bridged that gap for me (only time will tell), but I do think it’s been lessened at least a few feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment