Sunday, March 15, 2015

Daily Album Digest: March 1 - 14, 2015

Carrying on February's Music Writer's Exercise (#MWE), each day I listen to a new album and tweet a brief review of it. Then every two weeks compile those tweets here with some extra thoughts.



3/1: The Killers' Battle Born: The title track and "Be Still" are great, but cramming it with aspiring anthems makes it fall flat.
Why? After liking Day & Age so much I decided to charge ahead to this album. It… didn’t work out well.
Anything else?  I’m not a fan of when the Killers get their Springsteen on, but it’s not really that aspect that tanks the record for me. It’s a matter of pacing. The standard edition of the album has twelve songs, only two of them don’t go into lighters-in-the-air anthem territory. After a while they just have no punch anymore. Not every song has to be or can be “Born to Run.” 

3/2: Janet Jackson's Damita Jo: Its best moments are the old school turns ("I Want You") or just plain fun ("Just a Little While.")
Why? I wanted to go the opposite of the Killers’ record and have been criminally behind on Janet.
Anything else? I doubt this will ever be among my favorite Janet records, but it has some great moments. As something of a junkie for the genre myself, “R&B Junkie” speaks to me. I love the old school vibe of that track and “I Want You.” Speaking of “I Want You,” I think that track and the other Kanye West collaborations (“Strawberry Bounce” and “My Baby”) are really good.  His verse on “My Baby” is another matter, but that’s to be expected from him. The Babyface produced  track “Thinkin’ Bout My Ex” is another highlight and quite moving.
As for the negatives, no matter how sexy the singing, no matter if it’s Janet Jackson whispering it breathily, there is nothing sexy about the word “moist.” Or “erect.” I have no problem with Janet (or any artist) exploring her sexuality, but tracks like “Moist” and “Warmth” prove there’s a limit, at least creatively. I wouldn’t go as far as someone from AllMusic and call it embarrassing, just say that there are diminishing returns in that area.

3/3: Purity Ring's another eternity: In a word: dreamy. Carries you through lovely and strange images, but not much sticks out after the fact.
Why? Tuesday release. I’ve seen the name around a lot recently and dove in.
Anything else? No. I didn’t really connect with this record and feel no great desire to go back.

3/4: Sparks' Whomp That Sucker: I'm partial to the song "Funny Face" if for no other reason than it reminds me of book "Invisible Monsters."
Why? Still working through Sparks’ discography.
Anything else? This album came after Terminal Jive and is more rock than that or No 1 In Heaven, but it’s a better rock record than Big Beat or Introducing Sparks probably due to it sounding more early 80s new wave than generic 70s rock.

3/5: The Strokes' Is This It: Seminal works can be difficult to discuss, but alt. rock of the 2000s owes this album a debt and for good reason.
Why? I was originally going to listen to Room On Fire, but decided on this instead.
Anything else? As I said, it’s difficult to talk about albums like this one, because they have been so influential. I may not have ever heard this album in its entirety until recently, but I’ve still heard it because so much of rock in the 2000s wouldn’t exist without it. That sort of status can sometimes work against an album, though since they inspired a lot of the 2000s rock that I like, I dig it. In fact, this album is such a big deal that it landed on the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time, so while I would like to dig deeper in this, it’ll have to wait.

3/6: Coheed & Cambria's The Afterman: Ascension/Descension: I hesitate to use this phrase, but really, this is a return to form. Magnificent.
Why? Why not?
Anything else? I held off from this double album for a long time, because I was not big on Year of the Black Rainbow (and parts of No World for Tomorrow, but mostly YotBR.) The band has always had a metal edge, but those records seemed to be carrying them even further into that direction and frankly, that just isn’t for me. However, The Afterman feels more somewhere in between Good Apollo Vol.1 and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 without feeling like they regressed. It’s eclectic, gave me chills, made me tear up, so I loved it. 

3/7: Ariana Grande's My Everything: Her sweet and lovely voice saves songs that otherwise would be just middle of the road pop/r&b.
Why? I really liked her Grammy performance last month and have had this album in the queue, so to speak.
Anything else? Twitter’s limitations strike again and force me into backhanded compliments. Given more room let me put it like this: the songs themselves are not that striking or impressive on their own, but Ariana has such a beautiful voice that I wanted to listen to anything attached to it. I just wish the songs had more personality and more of her. She has a writing credit on the title track and that’s one song that feels true and not just a character she’s donning for a song. Maybe in time she’ll become more involved in that area. Her voice is a joy to listen to, so I want her to stick around and hopefully grow.

3/8: fun.'s Aim & Ignite: Reminds me of Panic! At the Disco's Pretty. Odd. in that both hit every right button to make me ridiculously happy.
Why? Another album that’s been sitting in my Spotify queue for ages.
Anything else? I liked Some Nights, in particular the introduction and title track. Something I really like about them is this drama and sense of scale that I don’t know the rest of that album lived up to. Aim & Ignite, however, completely revels in desires of Queen’s grandeur happily the whole way though. There have been critics who bemoan how much is going on musically and it certainly isn’t for everyone, but I can’t help bask in the strings and horns and harmonies. And Nate Ruess may not be Freddie Mercury, but when he sings, damn, I believe every word. Some current frontmen could really take a lesson from him. 

3/9: Janet Jackson's 20 Y.O. : Many blame this album's failings on Jermaine Dupri. That's unfair. The Jam/Lewis tracks don't fare well either.
Why? Playing catch-up with Janet.
Anything else? For anyone else this might be a decent or good album - not for Janet. I can cut her slack though. She has made some of the greatest dance/pop/r&b albums of all-time and frankly, not every album an artist makes is going to be great. It’s just not possible. That said, 20 Y.O. is still a letdown, because it’s the first Janet album that I disliked. “Call On Me” is sweet and breezy, but there’s not much here I feel the need to revisit. Even Damita Jo, which I was mostly lukewarm on, has more to offer. The Dupri-produced tracks feel messy and jumbled, while the Jam/Lewis-produced tracks wear out their welcome quick. Time could soften me this album, but as I said, I don’t feel a desire to go back to it anytime soon.

3/10: Laura Welsh's Soft Control: There's an edge to her captivating voice that recalls Annie Lennox. Highlights: "Ghosts" & "Break the Fall"
Why? The new releases that week were made up mainly of singles and Madonna’s Rebel Heart and I really didn’t want to touch that one.
Anything else? Along with having tones like Annie Lennox, the way she sings the word “cynical” in “Break the Fall” also reminds me of Fiona Apple. Anyone who can remind me of those two women possesses a voice that I can’t help but love. Unfortunately, though the album starts quite strong it starts to peter out about halfway through. The lyrics stay interesting throughout, but musically it blends together. Still, as I said about Ariana Grande, I enjoy her voice so much that I’ll take what I can get. I want to root for her and since this is only her debut I’m quite comfortable in doing so.

3/11: Janet Jackson’s Discipline: Tracks like opener “Feedback” and the evocative “Rock With U” make this the dance record 20 Y.O. wanted to be.
Why? I wanted to finish catching up with Janet.
Anything else? Apparently Jermaine Dupri made statements about 20 Y.O. being the most dance record Janet had done in a while. I don’t believe that to be the case. If you define a dance record as one that makes you dance, well, it didn’t make me want to dance. Discipline, however, does make me want to dance. The record also manages to give Janet a modern sound (such as on “Rock With U”), unlike 20 Y.O.’s clumsy attempts at contemporary r&b.
And yet, for all the goodwill Discipline builds with its dance tracks, the title track nearly throws it all out the window. Of course, Janet discussing sex is not new nor does the track represent her first foray into BDSM themes (see The Velvet Rope’s “Rope Burn”), but I find the track disturbing. Maybe I’m naïve or overreacting, but lyrics such as “Make me cry” and “Take out your frustrations on me” really, really rub me the wrong way. If nothing else, hundreds of thinkpieces on Fifty Shades of Grey prove the handling of BDSM in media is a murky area indeed. 

3/12: Dirty Pretty Things' Waterloo to Anywhere: With dark themes and rough but catchy sound ("Bang Bang You're Dead"), they were aptly named.
Why? It’s been sitting on my backburner for a long time.
Anything else? I’ve loved “Bang Bang You’re Dead” for a long time and was concerned that the rest might not live up to it. That concern was mostly unfounded. “Bang” still stands out the most sonically (mainly due to the inclusion of horns), but lyrically I was really struck by “Blood Thirsty Bastards” and “The Enemy.” The album’s not as rough as I recall (frontman Carl Barat’s previous band) the Libertines being, which works for me and makes it a more pleasant listen than they could sometimes be.

3/13: Box Codax' Hellabuster: How do I process an album full of grooves, that one minute reminds me of Oingo Boingo and 60s girl groups the next?
Why? Another that’s been on a backburner.
Anything else? That tweet was a play on recurring lyric, “How do I get your bullet out of my head” and also very much the truth. I’m still so flabbergasted by this record that I might end up writing a full post for it. But to be brief (for now): I know of this band because one of the members is Franz Ferdinand guitarist/keyboardist Nick McCarthy.  As with much of Franz, McCarthy composes the music of Box Codax  and what really struck me initially is how funky it gets at times. Trying to describe it is difficult for me, because something that vaguely reminds me Oingo Boingo and then throws out Motown strings by all accounts shouldn’t work. But it has so many great grooves that anchor it and it commits so hard to every seemingly mad musical idea that I can’t help but be on board. ...Even if it did break my brain.

3/14: Franz Ferdinand's Live at Roundhouse London: I likely won't discuss many live albums, but this "jolly bit of desolation" is the exception.
Why? Needed a break, so I cheated a bit.
Anything else? I try to steer clear of live albums or compilations for this daily album stuff. It feels a bit like cheating, because a greatest hits compilation doesn’t have the same purpose as a legit album. But, of course, if I’m going to make an exception for anyone it’ll be Franz Ferdinand. If nothing else Franz is a great live band and I really think anyone who doesn’t get a chance to see them should at least give this a listen. They have tremendous energy and when they hit their stride (“The Fallen” through “Auf Achse,” for instance) everything flows almost seamlessly.


All albums available to stream on Spotify. Except for Franz Ferdinand’s Live at Roundhouse London which is available here

No comments:

Post a Comment