Saturday, February 11, 2017

"The Monkees" Rewatch: The Audition (Find the Monkees)

“The Audition” (aka “Find the Monkees”) begins with the group’s pad being invaded by Martians. And a trio of secret agents. And some apparently not copyright infringing jolly green giants. The three gimmicky rival bands each tell the boys they’d received invitations to audition for TV producer Hubbell Bensen, who is looking for a singing group to star in a new show. Despite being “as bad as any of other group in town” the Monkees are disappointed that they seem to be the only group to not get an invitation. As they lay around the pad depressed Davy suggests sending a tape recording they’d previously made to Mr. Bensen. Unfortunately, before returning the rented tape recorder, Micky forgot to take the recording with him, so instead the boys decide to visit Mr. Bensen in person at NBC Studios. Meanwhile, Miss Chomsky, Bensen’s beleaguered secretary, rented a tape recorder which just so happened to have the Monkees’ recording on it. Bensen’s immediately taken with the recording of “Mary. Mary,” proclaiming, “That’s the group I’m looking for!” After searching through booking agents, talents scouts, record companies, disc jockeys, and others with no leads, Bensen eventually decides to tell the press his problem to gain publicity and find the group.

One thing I wanted to note about this episode is that, like “I Was A Teenage Monster” before it, it has a sort of meta quality to it given that it’s about the band getting a TV show where they will presumably play  a band, who will “play my [Bensen’s] theme song.” Granted, it doesn’t have quite the resonance or room for commentary of Monster, this case of the band playing a band trying to get a gig to play a band is just kinda funny to point out.

Speaking of comparisons to earlier episodes, as briefly touched on, this episode goes by two names, “The Audition” and “Find the Monkees.” As I said in my post on “Too Many Girls,” the multiple names for some episodes confuses me and I wanted to try to find some sort of possible explanation for it. The closest thing to a concrete answer I could find was from the Anorak Zone, which says the alternate titles resulted from “repeat episodes being billed with different names, or early working titles being confused with the finalised ones.” I say closest thing, because while the latter portion makes sense, I don’t get the former. I’m not sure if that’s due to the phrasing or me overcomplicating things. Though, to be honest, it probably is just me overcomplicating it, so I’ll try to drop it.  

On a completely different note, this episode ends with an interview about long hair, getting into fights, and then recent “riots” and vandalism on the Sunset Strip involving teenagers protesting a curfew and laws that prevented people under eighteen from attending clubs that serve alcohol even if the clubs specifically cater to teenagers. Now, I don’t know enough about this particular situation to have an opinion on it one way or another, but I did want to point out two quotes from the interview that I find particularly interesting. The first being the last statement before the credits roll, which is Davy saying, “The reason I haven't spoken all this time is because that it doesn’t matter what I say nobody’ll listen to me because I’m under twenty-one, so I’m just keeping my mouth shut.” He smiles slightly as he says it, but wow, talk about a truth bomb. It’s no wonder the episode ends there and pretty pointedly, I’d say. I mean, his statement shows the paternalistic notions the protests were pushing back against, notions acted on without any concern to what the people directly affected by the laws know, want, or need. Or as Peter put it, “Nobody listens to kids talking for kids because kids are only kids.”  And while I’m on the subject of sentiments expressed here that sadly remain very relevant to this day, I want to close with this quote from Micky: “There haven’t really been riots. They’ve been in actuality, since I, since I was there, they’ve been demonstrations. And uh, but I guess, a lot of people and journalists don’t know how to spell ‘demonstration’ so they use the word ‘riot’ ‘cause it only has four letters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment