Wednesday, February 22, 2017

"The Monkees" Rewatch: Monkees in the Ring

“Monkees in the Ring” begins with Peter and Davy walking down the street and Peter littering the sidewalk with every pistachio he eats. While he tries to clean up the trail, Peter innocently bumps into a short-tempered man. Things nearly come to blows until Davy intervenes and inadvertently knocks the pedestrian out. Joey Sholto, a fight promoter, witnesses the whole exchange and approaches the duo to say he’ll make Davy the next featherweight champion of the world. He agrees to meet with Sholto to discuss boxing, because the band needs the money. Even so, the others express concern for his safety, especially considering his lack of knowledge and experience in the sport. Sholto makes a deal with them that if Davy doesn’t win his first three fights by K.O. then they can “have him back” and they agree. Davy begins training and goes on a boxing tour that he easily dominates with “thunder in [his] left and dynamite in [his] right.” Unfortunately, each of the fights have been rigged in order to build Davy’s “dynamite” reputation and skew the odds for when he fights the episode’s Totally Not Muhammad Ali known simply as the Champ.


“In the Ring” is yet another episode (along with the next few) that for whatever reason I missed out on whenever it aired when I watched the show years ago, so not only am I not that familiar with it, it’s really practically new to me. I have to admit, though, given that this (like a lot of season one) is Davy-centric I wasn’t too excited going in. It pains me to say things like that, because I love Davy and I totally understand why the show made him the focal point so often. He was the main heartthrob in the group, after all. Still, as someone who likes all of the Monkees, it sucks to see them short-changed. All that said, I did enjoy the episode, it has a lot of little, hilarious moments (“He don’t listen to his Papa no more!”) Plus, any episode with “I’ll Be Back Upon My Feet” immediately gets big points from me. Though I find it odd how Davy bought into his Roman Reigns-esque hype, all things considered. And while that bit of Sitcom Logic is weird, the worst example of it might be the moment when Mike finds out about the rigged fights and tells Davy while still in Sholto’s office surrounded by press. Dude, come on! Just goes to show that Peter wasn’t always the Dummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment